1-year-old boy is critically ill from the flu

A couple in Colorado, USA, are devastated as their one-year-old son, Alastor, whose condition deteriorated rapidly after being diagnosed with the flu and croup, will be taken off with life support this Friday.

The child’s parents, Eric Ryan and Maegan Coffin, said the past few days have been “the worst nightmare any parent could have ever experienced” as they prepare to say goodbye to their child. Just a “common flu”? A 1-year-old boy is critically ill, and his parents bid him a tearful farewell.

According to reports, on January 9th, the couple took their son to an emergency center in Northglenn (about 13 miles north of Denver) for the first time. The hospital diagnosed him with influenza and croup and prescribed steroids and the anti-influenza drug Tamiflu before sending him home. However, the child’s condition did not improve, and the family rushed him back to the hospital.

The mother, Coffin, stated that after an X-ray at the hospital, the child suddenly stopped breathing. Just a “common flu”? A 1-year-old boy is critically ill, and his parents bid him a tearful farewell. Doctors then attempted to intubate the child and transferred him to another hospital, but the family said the child suffered from prolonged oxygen deprivation during the process. The child’s father, Ryan, stated on social media that the child was declared dead on Saturday afternoon, but the family is still awaiting arrangements for the removal of life support. Just a “common flu”? A 1-year-old boy is critically ill, and his parents bid him a tearful farewell.

According to his parents, Alastor was diagnosed with human metapneumovirus and croup, diseases that cause swelling of the throat and difficulty breathing and are especially dangerous in infants and young children. Medical institutions point out that the virus is more common in winter and spring, and there is currently no vaccine or specific treatment. It has a particularly severe impact on infants aged 6 to 12 months. The father, Ryan, said they never intended to keep life support indefinitely, but hoped to give their child more opportunities for recovery, “to see if there is still a chance for the brain to heal.”

He also stated that the child’s other organs were still functioning and that if the child regained consciousness, no long-term damage was expected. However, he added that the hospital’s push for brain death testing made them feel “forced to make a decision.”

According to reports, the child’s four siblings were also by his bedside and broke down in tears after witnessing the test results. The father said the scene was a huge blow to the family. Just a “common flu”? A 1-year-old boy is critically ill, and his parents bid him a tearful farewell.

In addition, the family is considering legal action against the emergency room that initially treated them and has already contacted a lawyer. The family has launched a crowdfunding campaign to cover living and related expenses and has raised over $8,600 so far. Just a “common flu”? A 1-year-old boy is critically ill, and his parents bid him a tearful farewell. The hospital has not yet made a public response to the allegations.

Amazon Acquires Globalstar for $11.57 Billion

Amazon has acquired a satellite communications company to target the satellite internet market led by Elon Musk’s SpaceX. Both companies announced that Amazon is acquiring Globalstar to expand its low-orbit satellite network, ‘Amazon Leo’.

Through this acquisition, Amazon will add 24 of Globalstar’s satellites to its existing network of approximately 200 satellites. Furthermore, starting in 2028, Amazon will be able to launch a next-generation Direct-to-Device (D2D) service that connects satellites directly to mobile devices, such as smartphones, without going through ground base stations.

Amazon also signed an additional agreement to continue supporting Apple’s satellite-based emergency messaging service, which was previously provided by Globalstar.

Panos Panay, Senior Vice President (SVP) of Amazon Devices & Services, emphasized, “Billions of people live, travel, and work in areas not covered by existing networks. We launched Amazon Leo to bridge this gap,” adding, “Through Globalstar’s proven expertise and solid foundation, customers will be able to experience faster and more reliable services in more regions.”

Globalstar shareholders will receive $90 in cash or Amazon stock of equivalent value for each share they hold. Considering that Globalstar has a total of 128.59 million issued shares, the total acquisition amount reaches $11.57 billion. This represents a 117% premium over the market capitalization at the end of last October, before rumours of an Amazon acquisition began circulating. The acquisition has received written consent from 58% of Global Star shareholders and is expected to be finalized next year following regulatory approval.

Amazon’s acquisition of Globalstar is aimed at catching up with SpaceX, a leader in the satellite communications sector. While SpaceX currently possesses a satellite network of 10,000, Amazon’s fleet currently numbers only around 200. Amazon had initially applied for and received approval to launch 1,600 new satellites by July of this year but has been facing difficulties in building its own satellite network, including recently requesting a grace period from the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC).

New York City Operates Full-Day Free Childcare

New York City’s newly introduced free childcare program for 2-year-olds (2-K) will be expanded to a full-day, year-round operation. According to the city, the free 2-K program, starting with the new school year this September, will operate all day (8 a.m. to 6 p.m.) for 260 days a year.

This measure differentiates it from the existing free childcare programs for 3-K and Pre-Kindergarten. Currently, these programs generally provide childcare for only about 7 hours a day for 180 days based on the academic calendar, from September to June of the following year; consequently, some families, such as dual-income households, are forced to bear additional childcare costs for after-school and summer vacations. New York City aims to begin allocating 2,000 spots this fall semester, expand by an additional 10,000 by the fall of 2027, and fully implement the program by 2030.

The 2-K program will be launched for the first time this year in five school districts across four boroughs: Queens District 27 (Ozone Park, Richmond Hill, Woodhaven, Howard Beach, Rockaway, Springfield Gardens, etc.), Manhattan District 6 (Washington Heights, Inwood, Hamilton Heights, etc.), Brooklyn Districts 18 and 23 (Brownsville, Ocean Hill, East Flatbush, etc.), and Bronx District 10 (Fortham, Belmont, Norwood, Van Cortland Village).

Mayor Zoran Mamdani explained that this measure is an important step toward realizing universal free childcare and reflects the realistic lifestyles of dual-income families. He stated, “Childcare programs from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. are insufficient for parents who work from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in many households,” adding, “In the meantime, parents have been forced to choose between making a living and raising children, or have had to deplete their savings to cover their working hours.” He further emphasized, “Universal childcare must actually be tailored to the lives of working people, and that is exactly what begins with full-day, year-round 2-K.”

Applications for the 2-K program begin in June and are open to children who will turn two in 2026.

Anyone can apply regardless of zip code, income, or immigration status.

Millions of pounds of frozen fried rice recalled in the US.

According to reports from US media outlets such as Today and Supermarket News, a large-scale recall of frozen food has recently occurred in the United States, involving approximately 37 million pounds of products and affecting multiple chain retailers, including Trader Joe’s and Kroger.

The food recall has expanded to nearly 10 million pounds of frozen vegetable fried rice, which has been urgently removed from shelves due to the potential presence of glass shards in the product. This recall was initiated by food manufacturer Ajinomoto Foods North America because some products may have contained glass shards. Regulatory agencies stated that the problem stems from foreign object contamination in the ingredients, and they have received related consumer complaints.

Affected products include various ready-to-eat foods such as frozen fried rice, and ramen, including Trader Joe’s chicken fried rice, vegetable fried rice, Japanese fried rice, and chicken shumai. The report indicates that there have been no reports of personal injury, but the affected products have been removed from shelves nationwide.

Analysts believe that this incident is not only large in scale but also highlights the risks of “contract manufacturing + multi-brand sales” in the US food supply chain. Once a problem occurs at the source, it often quickly affects multiple retail channels, amplifying safety hazards.

Instead of renting, thousands saved a year living in hotels.

An American couple, unable to afford their high rent, decided to move into hotels, unexpectedly finding their lives more stable and saving approximately $12,000 annually – a surprising and ingenious way to save money.

According to the New York Post, 47-year-old Maranda Bowers and her 40-year-old husband, John Bowers, originally lived in Florida, renting a two-story, three-bedroom house for $2,300 a month. However, in 2023, John was injured at work, causing a sharp drop in income and leaving the family without their main source of income. Maranda, who runs a cleaning company, couldn’t afford the rent.

The couple initially stayed with relatives, but later decided to move into hotels permanently, beginning their “hotel life.” Currently, they pay $307 a week for a double room, a fee that includes utilities, internet, and parking. This translates to a monthly expense lower than their previous rent, and they don’t even need to pay a security deposit.

Maranda says the best thing about staying in hotels is the “fixed cost and no variables.” She usually books for six months at a time, knowing exactly how much she’ll spend each week. “It’s much easier to prepare weekly expenses than to rack up a huge monthly rent bill.”

The room has a kitchenette with two stove-tops and a full-size refrigerator, allowing them to cook their own meals. The hotel also provides bi-weekly housekeeping and daily linen changes. Since checking into the hotel, Maranda has even prepared Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners for other guests.

Although the space is small, Maranda has used partitions to create a work area, making the room feel more like an apartment. She admits that although their lifestyle is simple, “the freedom and savings they’ve gained are well worth it.”

Over the past two years, the couple has saved an average of $1,000 per month. They plan to use this money to buy land and build a small house for a simpler, more comfortable life.

“Our children are all grown up and don’t need a big house,” Maranda says. “Rather than spending all our money on rent, we want to travel and enjoy life.”

Gwangri Construction Donates $20,000 to Welfare Center

Kwang Lee Construction (President Lee Myung-soon), based in Manassas, Virginia, donated $20,000 to the Washington Korean Community Center. At the donation ceremony held on the 9th, President Lee Myung-soon stated, “I decided to make this donation to carry on the legacy of my husband, President Lee Kwang-man (founder, pictured), who passed away 12 years ago,” adding, “Please use this for the underprivileged in the community.” Kwang Lee Construction has donated a total of $61,500 to the Community Center from 2023 to this year.

Kim Jin-ah, Chairperson of the Community Center, said, “As the Center celebrates its 52nd anniversary this year and focuses its efforts on developing support programs for the next generation, this donation serves as a great encouragement.”

Fairfax Board of Education Considers Reducing School Holidays

The Fairfax County Board of Education is reviewing a restructuring of the school calendar to reduce school holidays and early dismissal days. At its regular meeting on the 9th, the Board is scheduled to discuss proposals including designating Monday, October 12, 2026, as a school day, converting Veterans Day into an annual school day, and limiting early dismissal days to a maximum of four per grade level.

These measures represent the first step toward reorganizing the Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) academic calendar in the long term, and some board members shared their views on the matter during an online community meeting held on the 7th.

Trump Considers Withdrawing US Troops from NATO Members

The Wall Street Journal reported on the 8th that the Donald Trump administration is considering a plan to transfer U.S. troops stationed in NATO member states deemed uncooperative with the war against Iran to member states that did cooperate. Given that President Trump has publicly expressed dissatisfaction with the lack of cooperation from South Korea and Japan in addition to NATO, attention is focused on whether this plan will materialize and whether it will affect the deployment of U.S. forces in South Korea and Japan.

Citing Trump administration officials, the WSJ reported that the U.S. is considering sanctions against certain NATO member states deemed uncooperative with military operations against Iran. The plan centres on withdrawing U.S. troops stationed in member states deemed unhelpful by the Trump administration and redeploying them to countries that are more supportive of a war against Iran.

The Wall Street Journal reported that this is one of several measures being discussed by the Trump administration for NATO sanctions; while still in the early stages, the proposal has circulated among senior officials and gained support in recent weeks. The number of U.S. troops stationed across Europe is approximately 84,000, with troop numbers fluctuating due to military exercises and rotational deployments. The WSJ noted that U.S. military bases in Europe serve as key hubs for global operations and provide significant economic benefits to host nations.

U.S. forces stationed in Eastern Europe also function as a deterrent against Russia. In addition to troop redeployment, the Trump administration is reportedly considering closing a U.S. military base in at least one European country. Bases in Spain or Germany are said to be potential targets for closure. There are concerns that if the Trump administration pursues retaliatory measures, including the redeployment of U.S. troops, citing a lack of cooperation from NATO allies, it may also consider measures against South Korea and Japan.

President Trump reportedly became furious in mid-last month after his request to send warships to the Strait of Hormuz was met with refusals and calls for careful consideration from various countries; since then, he has repeatedly expressed his dissatisfaction, publicly naming NATO member states as well as South Korea, Japan, and Australia.

NJ Transit ‘Free Shuttle Van’ Call Service

New Jersey Transit has launched a “free shuttle van” ride-hailing service connecting passengers’ residences with bus stops, focusing on Korean-dense towns within Bergen County such as Tenafly, Englewood, and Teaneck. Transit authorities announced that they began a pilot operation of a new public transportation ride-hailing program called “MicroLink” on the 6th.

Funded by the federal government and operating for the next two years, this program allows passengers to directly hail a van via a mobile application to travel from their residences to nearby bus stops or transfer parking lots. This pilot service is initially available only in parts of Bergen County and Monmouth County within New Jersey. The service areas within Bergen County include four towns with large Korean populations: Tenafly, Englewood, Teaneck, and Bergenfield. The service is available on weekdays from 6:00 AM to 8:00 PM and is free of charge during the pilot period.

Passengers can conveniently travel from near their residences to bus stops by booking a vehicle in real-time via the ‘Microlink’ app. The Transit Authority emphasized, “This service was established for passengers who experienced inconvenience using public transportation due to the long distance from their homes to bus stops,” adding that it “will play a role in dramatically improving public transportation accessibility for local residents.” Residents wishing to use the service can download the ‘Microlink’ app on their smartphones.

Elderly individuals and others unfamiliar with using apps can also request a ride by phone (973-233-4047). However, as the service operates on a demand-based basis, reservations must be made 20 to 30 minutes in advance to ensure a smooth experience. The vehicles deployed for the Microlink service are 6-seater vans equipped with wheelchair boarding facilities to accommodate those with mobility impairments.

New York City High School Graduation Rate Declining

New York City’s high school graduation rate has declined for two consecutive years.

According to data from the New York City Department of Education, the graduation rate for 2025 was 81.2%, a decrease of 2.1 percentage points from the previous year. The graduation rate had steadily increased for over a decade, reaching 83.7% in 2023 after falling 0.8 percentage points from 65.5% in 2011 to 64.7% in 2012. However, following a 0.4 percentage drop to 83.3% in 2024, the downward trend continued in 2025.

The 2.1 percentage point decline recorded last year is the largest drop in the past 20 years, since 2005 when it fell by 1.1 percentage points compared to the previous year. Education officials link the significant decline in graduation rates to the fact that high school graduates in 2025 are students who began ninth grade in September 2021, just as the pandemic was ending. They analyze that the chaotic post-pandemic educational environment, where students attended classes remotely during the pandemic but began in-person schooling in the fall semester of 2021, likely influenced the drop in graduation rates.

Furthermore, they interpret the renewed tightening of exemptions and lowered passing standards for certain Regent exams, which had been in place during the pandemic, as having had a considerable impact on graduation rates.